On the 12 of October 1902was born “Vevey” under the affix “De Vevey” from M. Meystre, the first litter of Landseeer. The parents imported from England but already crossed with the modern Newfoundland transmited the genes of the ancient Newfoundland Dog.
At the beginning of the last century, Mister Meystre and Schlittler-Laagler kennel of “De Mollis” realised a fantastic pioneer work in the breeding of pure Landseers with dogs imported from England and decendants of “De Vevey”. These two men were under the support and the survellance of Professor Albert Heim. This professor worthy of faith communicated the rebirth of the old Newfoundland dog purificated with great difficulties of all the English crossings. The ideological main idea of these two breeders was the most ancient standard existing, the one from 1881 of the “Club for anobling the breeds of dogs coming from Germany. This standard, on the contraty of the recent one of the English Club of the Newfoundland (1886) distinguished the two breeds, as well as for the breeding as for the jugements.
Doctor Paul Trâger, eminent member of the “German Club of the Newfoundlan for the Continent” accepted this point of view and announced at the beginning of the century: “It is very clear that these sister breeds are not only separated by their color. The Landseer suprise me by their height and their mass.The shape or their heads is also very different. We can no more pretend that one breed comes from the other.
Between 1902 and 1913, were born at these breeders kennel about 100 Puppies. A basic of Landseer breeding was now assured. Then came the first world war. Like for the whole of Europe, it was, of course a great catastrophy for this new breed in construction. A very few breeders tried with different methods to carry on the fantastic work already started. Finally, a few of them got through: in 1917, in the kennel “Von Adlergarten” of Madam Sulzer-Bühler at Winterthour, was born a litter from the crossing of “Miss von Mollis” and her uncle “Pascha Major ll”
A second breeding base of the Europeen Continental Landseer (E.C.T. = European Continental Type)started in Austria. In 1922 were born an Austrian litter by “von Dischosgasse” at the painter W. Hühnl at Linz on the Danube. The mother of that litter was “Myra v.d. Förgenau” which was the daughter of “Royal Princess Maud” who before was the property of Schlittler-Laager. She left for Austria, at M. Hölm house during the dissolution of the kennel “von Mollis”
The third origin of the Landseer was found in Holland. M. Lunter de Enschede got “Flora” in Germany. This female was apparently from an Austrian branch. From the mating of “Flora” with the male “Adonis v. Dischafsqasse” were born “Hans” and “Grete v. Landseerheim” You will find these two dogs in almost all actual genealogical tree.
In order to get a larger base for breeding and for the survival of the breed, Mister Lunter understood that they had to create other circle of people in Europe.
At this time, beginning of the thirties, the Walterspiel brothers with their “v. Schartenberg” kennelgot in with them. This family carried for about 40 years this actual nobel breed, the Landseer.
During the fifties, the Landseer was finally recognised as an officiel breed.
Mr. Emil Burkhard (Founding Member, then President, and President of Honour of the Newfoundland Swiss Club) the Swiss together with the German Club jointly asked the FCI to finally recognised the standard of the Landseer Breed.
Emil Burkhard affirmed firmly “The Landseer presents some Anatomic particularities and doesn’t have the same physical and psycological specificities as the Newfoundland. In 1960, the FCI finally gives the two clubs the official Landseer standard registed under number 226.
In a more recent past, the creation in 1976 of the German Landseer Club, had for concequence a breeding program based on genetic and knowledge. This is how this ancient and nobel breed started on new solid bases which brought a new youth to that old Newfoundland Dog.